The other day I caught the creative bug again and decided to indulge in some cake decorating. My kids love it when I get creative in the kitchen because they know there’s something in it for them. The licking of the spatula and bowl, and of course the enjoyment of eating it when it’s finished! The Palace of Versailles is the inspiration for these little cupcakes. I was watching the movie Marie Antoinette when I decided to create some sweet treats for my kids and husband to enjoy. Delicious home made, vanilla flavoured, jam centered, Versailles Inspired Cupcakes! Yum!
Vanilla Cupcakes with Jam Centers Recipe
- 175g butter, at room temperature
- 165g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 110g self-raising flour
- 150g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 160ml buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- Strawberry Jam
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- Line a 12-hole cupcake/muffin tin with paper cases.
- Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a medium bowl using an electric mixer or Cake Mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs into the butter mixture one at a time. Add the sifted flours and the buttermilk.
- Divide the mixture evenly and smooth the tops (this will help the cupcakes to rise evenly).
- Bake for 25–30 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Allow cupcakes to stand for 5 minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Once cooled, pipe a dot of Strawberry Jam into the center of each cupcake using a piping nozzle.
- Decorate as desired.